What is TMJ?
The temporomandibular joint, or TMJ, is the joint on either side of your face that connects the jaw to the rest of your skull. TMJ disorders, which are often simply referred to as “TMJ” or “TMD,” can result in significant pain and discomfort. Jaw problems and TMJ disorders can be caused by stress, natural aging, disease, trauma, or lifestyle habits such as grinding (bruxism). You may suffer from a TMJ disorder if you experience the following symptoms:
- Popping, clicking, or grating sounds in the TMJ when you open and close your mouth
- Chronic jaw pain
- Tightness in the jaw muscles
- Ear pain or ringing in the ears
- Frequent tension headaches or migraines
- A locked or stuck jaw
- Difficulty opening your mouth very wide
- Pain when chewing, speaking, and yawning
- Pain the face, neck, and shoulders
What is TMJ treatment?
Dr. Scott Healey, our talented dentist, provides treatment for jaw problems and TMJ in Lindon, Utah, to relieve these symptoms and ensure that you live free from pain. Some treatments for TMJ include muscle relaxants, exercise, aspirin, biofeedback, or wearing a night guard in the mouth during sleep. To learn more about jaw problems and TMJ treatment, please call us at Scott M. Healey Dentistry today!