What is preventive care?
Many diseases are preventable – including cavities and gum disease. Regular preventive dental care with consistent bi-annual checkups is the best way to prevent having any major oral health issues. Eating healthy foods that are low in sugar and flossing and brushing at least twice a day will help your teeth last a lifetime. Crooked teeth can be prevented with early orthodontic treatment. With today’s dental technologies and capabilities, our belief is that prevention is always the best (and cheapest) medicine!
Should I go to the dentist?
Dr. Scott Healey is dedicated to helping you keep your smile in the best of health. In order to achieve this goal, we provide a broad range of preventive care in Lindon, Utah. To keep your smile healthy, we recommend that you practice good oral hygiene and maintain a balanced diet including whole grains, lean protein, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Using toothpaste and mouth rinse that include fluoride can also aid in preventing cavities and tooth decay. We recommend that you visit our dental office every six months for regular dental exams, cleanings and X-rays.
How to prevent cavities:
Just like many other diseases, cavities can be prevented. We encourage you to follow the steps outlined below to prevent cavities and tooth decay:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day (or after each meal) in a circular motion with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss every night in an up-and-down motion while keeping the floss in a U-shape and against the tooth surface.
- Avoid sticky, sugary foods, especially carbonated beverages.
- Eat a balanced diet of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean protein.
- Use a fluoride-infused mouth rinse and toothpaste.
- See your dentist every six months for a complete dental exam, dental cleaning, and X-rays.
If you would like to learn more about preventive dentistry and how to prevent cavities, or if you would like to schedule your next visit to Scott M. Healey Dentistry, please call us today.