Did you know that your toothbrush can be a source of bacteria? Sadly, the instruments we use to clean our teeth are just as likely to harm our teeth if we do not care for them properly. Always make sure to give your toothbrush the same attention and care as you do your teeth.
Are you giving your toothbrush the care it deserves? Listed below are some guidelines to consider:
– Always make sure your toothbrush is free of contamination.
– Don’t share toothbrushes, and always store yours upright in a cool, dry area when not in use.
– Storing toothbrushes in closed containers for lengthy periods of time can increase the risk of contamination.
– When deciding on a toothbrush, try to find one that can easily fit in your mouth and reach all areas around your teeth and gums.
– Use toothbrushes that have the ADA Seal of Acceptance or those that have been recommended by your dentist.
– Make sure your toothbrush has soft bristles, as stiff bristles can damage your gums.
– If you have a muscle impairment or have a hard time brushing, electric toothbrushes can make the task much easier.
– Be sure to replace your toothbrush at least every three to four months, or earlier if needed.
If you would like an oral exam or professional cleaning from Dr. Scott Healey and our team here at Scott M. Healey Dentistry, please schedule an appointment at our dental office in Lindon, Utah, by calling us at 801.653.0099. We look forward to assisting you with all of your oral care needs!